Australia Visit Visa

Australia visit visa
For people to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes.
If you are hoping to go to Australia for a holiday then you will require an Australian tourist visa.
Any person going to Australia for any period of time requires a visa.
This type of visa is valid for 12months from the date it is granted and allows multiple entries
You can only stay in Australia for a maximum period of 3months (90 days) at any one time within the 12months your visa is valid until.

About this visaAbout This Visa

This visa allows people to visit Australia for a holiday or recreation, or to visit family and friends. This visa may also be used for other short-term non-work purposes including study for less than three months.
Who is this visa for?
This visa is available to all passport holders who are:

  • outside Australia and want to apply for a visa to visit Australia
  • in Australia and want to extend your stay as a visitor.

Repeat visits and long stays
This visa is designed only to allow temporary travel to Australia for tourism purposes or to visit family and friends. It cannot be used for long-term stays or residence. To be eligible for a further Tourist visa in the future, you must maintain extended periods of time outside of Australia.
If you would like to migrate or spend longer periods in Australia, you should explore more appropriate visa options which may be more suitable.
How much will this visa cost?
You may be required to pay a visa application charge. This charge is usually not refunded if your application is unsuccessful.These charges are $105.
What does this visa let me do?
If granted, this visa will allow you either a single or multiple entry to Australia for a stay period of up to three, six or 12 months.
The period of stay and number of entries granted will depend on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances.

how this visa worksHow this Visa Works

You must have a genuine intention to visit Australia as a tourist, for recreation or to visit your family and friends.
Bringing family
Family members, under 18 years of age, who are travelling to Australia and are included on your passport, can be included in your application. Other family members who have separate passports must lodge separate applications.
Extending your stay
If you are in Australia and want to extend your stay for tourism purposes, you must apply for a new visa at least two weeks before your current visa expires.
A Tourist visa may be granted if you:

  • have complied with the conditions of your previous visa
  • meet all the eligibility criteria for this visa
  • do not have a ‘No further stay’ condition on your visa.

You should note that a further visa, if granted, will cease any visa or ETA currently held and the entitlements attached to that visa or ETA.
If a decision has not been made on your application before your original visa expires, you will be able to remain lawfully in Australia until the application has been finalised.
If you are granted this visa, you can study for up to three months. If you want to study longer than three months you should apply for a student visa.
Student visa holders
If you hold or last held a Student visa, you can not extend your stay in Australia on a Tourist visa, for the purposes of:

  • commencing a CRICOS registered course
  • continuing or completing a CRICOS registered course in which you are enrolled.

You are not able to work in Australia. If you are coming to Australia to work, you should consider applying for a visa which allows you to work in Australia.
Volunteer work tourism schemes
In general terms, you may be able to work as a volunteer whilst on a Tourist visa if:

  • your main purpose in visiting Australia is tourism, and any voluntary work remains incidental to this
  • the work involved would not otherwise be undertaken, in return for wages, by an Australian resident
  • the work is genuinely voluntary and that no remuneration is received in return for the activities.

Note: It is acceptable, under the conditions of the Tourist visa, to receive meals and accommodation or reimbursement for out-of-pocket living expenses in return for voluntary work.


To be eligible for this visa you must have a genuine intention to visit Australia as a tourist, for recreation or to visit your family and friends.
If you lodge your application whilst in Australia, you must also be in Australia at the time a decision is to be made on your application.
If you lodge your application whilst outside Australia, you must also be outside at the time a decision is to be made on your application.
You must also meet the following eligibility requirements.
Health requirements
You must meet certain health requirements.
Health Insurance
Medical treatment in Australia can be very expensive. As a tourist, you are not covered by Australia’s national health scheme, unless there is a reciprocal health care agreement between Australia and your country. Health care for visitors to Australia is explained on the Medicare Australia website.
See: Medicare Australia Health Care for visitors to Australia
It is recommended that you take out health insurance for yourself and your family for the duration of your stay in Australia. You may be asked to provide evidence that you have health insurance or adequate funds to pay for emergency medical treatment while in Australia in order to satisfy the financial requirements for this visa.
More information about Australian private health insurance is available.
Department of Health and Ageing
Private Health Insurance Administration Council
Character requirements
You must meet certain character requirements.
Financial requirements
You must have access to sufficient funds to cover all costs for the duration of your stay in Australia, including health insurance if required. You may be asked to provide evidence of your funds.
Examples: personal bank statements, pay slips, audited accounts, taxation records, credit card limit.
Debts to the Commonwealth of Australia
You must have no outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia.
Children under 18 years of age
Consent to travel:
Applications for children under 18 years of age must provide consent from the non-accompanying parent(s) or legal guardian(s) if the child is travelling:

  • alone
  • with only one parent or legal guardian.

Consent can be provided on Form 1229 or on a Statutory Declaration or equivalent under the relevant law of the child’s home country.
See: Form 1229 Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years ( 93KB PDF file)
Note: Evidence must be provided to confirm family relationship or guardianship, for example, full birth certificate stating names of both parents.


You must comply with your visa validity and conditions while in Australia on a Tourist visa. A breach of these conditions may result in your visa being cancelled and you may have to leave Australia.
You can find information about your visa validity and conditions:

  • if you lodged a paper application, on the visa label in your passport
  • if you lodged an online application, in the letter or email advising you that your visa is granted.

Visa validity
You may be granted a Tourist visa for:

  • A stay of up to 12 months, or a shorter period, depending on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances
  • A single entry or multiple entries to Australia.

You must leave Australia on or before the date that your visa expires.
Example: If you are granted a three month stay Tourist visa and arrive in Australia on 1 January 2007, you must leave on or before 1 April 2007.
Visa conditions
You must comply with the following visa conditions:

  • you must not work while in Australia
    Note: Voluntary work may be permitted.
  • you must not study for more than three months while in Australia
    Note: Tourist visa holders are no longer required to pass a chest x-ray examination even if they intend to study in a classroom environment for a period greater than four weeks.
Your visa may be granted with a ‘No further stay’ condition. If this is the case, you will not be granted any other visa (except for a Protection visa) while you remain in Australia. This condition may be waived in exceptional circumstances.

  • Clarinda Hanback November 30, 2010 at 4:05 pm

    Great site!!!

    • admin December 16, 2010 at 3:07 pm


  • Free Image Hosting December 3, 2010 at 11:39 am

    This article was very nicely written, and it also is made up of many useful details. I valued your expert manner of writing this article. You’ve created it is simple for me to understand.

    • admin December 16, 2010 at 3:07 pm

      Thanks for reading this and appreciating.

  • Steven Domascus December 9, 2010 at 6:34 am

    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil. -Ayn Rand

    • admin December 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm

      Agree with you.

  • invest January 12, 2011 at 11:53 pm

    Brilliant summary, this is some really useful info and point you got here.

  • invest stock January 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm

    Your site here rocks. More of good and pro stuff, like this, publishing will get you a lot of daily users. You just got one more.